24 avr. 2012

pattern: Glaciers are melting

In december 2009, I created a luminous shawl using a linen and rayon mix yarn:


The inspiration for this piece came from five balls of matt-and-shiny ice blue yarn and the desire to adapt the Fountain lace pattern (BGW.II.252) for the “spine” of a triangular shawl. I followed my theme and improvised slowly cracking and melting ice, using a couple of my favourite lace patterns found in Barbara G. Walker’s great treasuries of knitting pattern.

The resulting shawl was a tribute to the melting ice in the poles, and absolutely stunning. I took a couple of photos to show it in Ravelry, and gave it to a good friend for her 40th birthday.When asked by many ravelers to publish the pattern, I first thought it was too complicated to explain precisely how to knit it, and didn’t want to simplify it.

***

At last I was convinced to give it a try. I had to recreate it, and took lots of note to make sure other knitters could obtain the same result. I finally managed to publish it just before leaving to Australia.

The second version of Les Glaciers Fondent - renamed Glaciers are Melting - is even better than the original. The pattern can be tricky sometimes, but I think the result is well worth the concentration, don't you think?

 

Techniques

This shawl begins with my own special technique to obtain a strong, perfect and invisible cast-on. It features a fluid pattern in the center, adapted to incorporate the central increases of a neck-down triangular shawl. The two different lace patterns of the lower end melt into each other. The ending is a simple knitted bind-off on the wrong side.
Appart from the basic knitting techniques, you only need to know two advanced techniques:
 

Credits

This pattern was tested by six wonderful ravelers. They where all quick, nice and knowledgeable knitters. Thank you so much Amie, Elizabeth, Hatice, Linda, Marylin and Pauline. :)


See what other people ha ve made with the pattern:
See my other patterns on ravelry: Filambulle's designs

Aucun commentaire: